Sunday, July 18, 2010

WINE SNOB?


Am I a wine snob?
A dictionary interpretation is:

Snob
- noun
1. A person who imitates, cultivates or slavishly admires social superiors and is condescending or overbearing to others.
2. A person who believes himself or herself to be an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field: a musical snob


(I reproduced this faithfully - the musical snob reference was in the dictionary explanation).

The above seems reasonable apart from the fact that it says "admires social superiors", which I don't understand, having never met one.
I have a lot of knowledge of wine and like to think that I can pass on some of my vast knowledge to others without being "condescending" or "disdainful".
I do however feel sorry for people who waste their money on crap wines because they don't know any better. A friend who came to stay recently left behind a bottle of Saints South East Australian 2008 Shiraz.
I opened it tonight as I was cooking a Bolognaise sauce dish and needed a drop of red wine. On tasting it I immediately noticed that it was crap. I think my palate was OK and discerning as I hadn't had any wine ( or any alcohol) for a week. (I believe in only drinking when you feel like it and for the last week didn't feel the need). You should only cook with a wine that is worth drinking so I opened another Shiraz that was readily to hand. This was a 1993 Eileen Hardy Shiraz. This wine was superb. It is nicely developed, still rich but with the age having softened it out to make an even, smooth and almost silky wine. Great. A decent dollop of this to the sauce made for a great pasta dish.
Is this snobbish? I don't think so. I had the better wine to hand. The first one was crap and not worth putting in the sauce let alone drinking so why not? This got me to thinking though that there are many wine drinkers out there that drink crap because they don't know better. They haven't  yet experienced the great or even better wines of the world. This doesn't make them dullards. It doesn't necessarily make them cheapskates as I know that for the money my friend paid for the Saints wine I could have found a different wine at the same price that is much better. It is all about experience and inside knowledge. I know that I pay money for music, computers, household goods, cars etc. that an expert would scoff at. Are they snobs? No. They just have a better knowledge of their field.





2 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Thanks TWG,
I think the words "Wine Snob" are used too widely. I agree with your explanation, and "Wine Expert" is a better phrase.
My wife, who buys almost all of our wines has a good eye for a bargain, but does not really have a very discerning palate. Some of the stuff she brings home is just drinkable, others are great, but she normally refuses to buy anything not "on offer" or over $10.
I just smile and drink what is offered.

THE WINE GUY said...

I think that you should chivalrously offer to do the shopping sometimes (especially when the wine cellar is depleted).