Friday, May 25, 2012

METHUSELAH


When we go to the cinema the Old Girl usually buys the tickets, either by telephone booking or using the automatic ticket dispenser.
The last time we went (Salmon Fishing in Yemen) I noticed that she had bought me a senior ticket. I remonstrated and she said that she always does that. What? I senior ticket is for OAP's over 65. "I'm not even 60 yet" I  blustered. "The young ushers would never know" she said "they all think you're ancient."

Bloody hell! They'll be helping me over the road next.

I thought about though and she is right (not for cheating the system). While we all think we are the same as we were at 20, others see us from a different perspective and see an old clapped out version. I like Eric Idle's song on One Foot in the Grave

"They say I might as well face the truth.
That I'm just too long in the tooth.
Oh I'm an O.A.P. and weak-kneed
But I have not yet quite gone to seed.

I may be over the hill now that I have retired.
Fading away but I'm not yet expired.
Clapped out, rundown, too old to save
One foot in the grave.

(Closing theme):

They say I might as well face the truth.
That I'm just too long in the tooth.
I've started to deteriorate
And now I've passed my own sell-by date.

Oh I am no spring chicken it's true.
I have to pop my teeth in to chew.
And my old knees have started to knock.
I've just got too many miles on the clock.

So I'm a wrinkly, crinkly, set in my ways.
It's true my body as seen better days.
But give me half a chance and I can still misbehave.
One foot in the grave.
One foot in the grave.
One foot in the grave"

The other day I was teaching one of the cafe staff how to run an in-store tasting (we demonstrate our wines in wineshops). She was nervous at the prospect so I gently guided her through the process - what to say to consumers, how to handle the rude ones, how to set-up things etc. To me she looked just like a kid. I discovered though that she is 21 and completing a University degree. What? When I was at university the 21 year old 'women' seemed so mature, aloof and desirable. Now - they look like kids.
Oh well they say that policemen look younger every day too.

re Methuselah the only one I want to know is this one - the 6 Litre, 8 bottle version.

No comments: