Sunday, May 11, 2008

TARTS AND ACID


I shopped at NOSH Ponsonby yesterday and it was a very pleasant experience.
I called in to buy some pasta (Linguini) and some vegetables and was offered a glass of wine whilst browsing.
On offer for tasting was Trinity Hill (Hawkes Bay) Chardonnay 2007 (new vintage release).
In front of me were two old tarts (well, older than me anyway). When tasting the Chardonnay one of them made a sour face like Britt Eklund's 'trout pout' (as a result of bad cosmetic surgery - see pic). The woman conducting the tasting said that she had been told that this was a very good Chardonnay. The 'trout pout' lady said rather pompously " obviously that is wrong as this is a terrible wine and I should know as I am a regular wine drinker".
The host caught my eye to see if I agreed with her and I just winked. When the blue-rinse 'tarts' moved away I told the host that I thought the wine was superb and , in the hearing of the other two said I would buy 3 bottles. This pleased her.
The wine is made by John Hancock one of the country's best Chardonnay makers. It is 2007 vintage and as such has a touch of acid (malic and tartaric) which will integrate with time - say 6 months or more. This is what 'trout pout' noticed but unfortunately she was unable to recognise the other elements in the wine (fruit, nice wood etc).
At the check-out counter I was surprised to learn that the wine was on special (15.95), I was given a free cloth carry bag (the type supermarkets charge you for) and that for every one bottle of wine bought that day they were giving away a free 3-pack of Sola wine spritzer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done! It's like when you shop at the Wharehouse and the price comes up $4 less than you expected.

Anonymous said...

...well, sort of like that...

Richard (of RBB)

Anonymous said...

Is Sola wine spritzer shit?
Are they trying to get rid of the stuff?
Richard (of RBB)

Anonymous said...

How do we know the two little ladies weren't right?
Richard (of RBB)

THE WINE GUY said...

"Is Sola wine spritzer shit?
Are they trying to get rid of the stuff?
Richard (of RBB)"

Don't know haven't tried it yet but yes they are trying to get rid of it as it is at its best buy date

"How do we know the two little ladies weren't right?
Richard (of RBB)"

They weren't little - quite big actually.
They weren't right because I tried the wine and I do back myself on my ability to taste

Anonymous said...

Got me from all angles!
Richard (of RBB)

Anonymous said...

There's a bass bag behind the universe. I've seen it.