Monday, August 29, 2011

BACK TO BASICS

I haven't had the chance to experiment with my Chardonnay doctoring over the last week (see: here) as,

1. I have drunk some top notch Chardonnay,
2. Her Indoors opened a really good Pinot Noir and,
3. She opened  a nice Riesling for me yesterday as I was languishing in a hot bath after a major stint of gardening followed by 11 holes of golf.

 I am finishing the Riesling tonight and wondering why the hell I have neglected Riesling over the last year. A few years ago I decided that Riesling was to be my Summer wine of choice. This was because,

1. I had grown tired of drinking Chardonnay all the time
2. Cheap Chardonnays weren't cutting it
3. Riesling is more refreshing in the warmer seasons and
4. New Zealand makes the consistently best Rieslings in the world (see: here).


The Riesling I am drinking is Brancott Estate Reserve Waipara Riesling 2010.
There are a few good things going on for a start with this description (sorry about the lists).

1. Brancott (the artist formerly known as Montana is a long established wine company in New Zealand with great expertise in Riesling amongst other leading varietals.
2. Reserve suggests a notch up from the commercial offering
3. Waipara is arguably the best region in New Zealand for Riesling (and Pinot Noir)
4. Riesling is one of the best grape varietals in the world and New Zealand excels in its production
5. 2010 guarantees that the wine is fresh and not a 'failed export order' that has been sitting around for a while (although of all the varietals New Zealand produces Riesling is probably the most long lived) and,
6. (not on the label) I bought the wine on special at about $11 when the 'normal' price is well over $20.

The wine is a teat. The usual citrus character of South Island Riesling is enhanced by a fleshy nectarine and luscious mouth-feel. All the good mineral edges are there and the nose is elegant and definitely floral. It is amazingly fresh and no doubt will hold this for a couple of years because of the lime/acid undertone. I think I'll buy some more to see how it develops over say 4 or 5 years.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Sorry, what did you say? I can't get the image of you in the bath out of my mind.

Nicola said...

Is Montana wine no longer called Montana? I have been out of NZ a while...

THE WINE GUY said...

Nicola, Pernod Ricard (owner of Montana) changed the name to Brancott (the brand name they previously used for Montana in USA) and sold off their Lindauer brand and a lot of their domestic wine brands. See:

http://nzwineguy.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-10-25T14%3A47%3A00%2B13%3A00&max-results=7

Richard, stop being a perve.

THE WINE GUY said...

Ha, ha. I just noticed that I said "The wine is a 'teat'" instead of 'treat'.
Freudian?