Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'VE HAD ENOUGH...

.... of drinking cheap wine.
Over the last year I have taken to seeking out cheaper variants of my favourite tipple - wine. I have pounced on supermarket 'wine sale' offers, scoured the internet for best deals and dropped my expectations as to what my wine of choice delivers. All OK to a point and I have sometimes enjoyed the discoveries. I have even written enthusiastically in previous post about some of them. Overall though it has been somewhat disappointing. A couple of months ago I made the decision to drink less and drink better. I have cut down my wine consumption by a half and increased the cost of the individual bottles I drink by roughly twice. I have a good selection of cognacs, malt whiskies and various other interesting liqueurs at home but hardly ever touch them and rarely drink beer other than the refreshing one after a round of golf or a period in the garden so my alcohol intake has been reduced by half as well. It is pretty much as what I have always believed and known - that well made wine from careful vineyard selection, low cropping and with the use of the correct techniques and materials delivers an intensity of flavour and character that cannot be replicated by mass production. I guess I have been spoiled over the last 30 odd years by my access to some of the world's greatest wines but hey, life is short we should enjoy what we like. I think I'll give cutting down to a third consumption and increasing the average cost by a factor of three a go. This of course might put a dent in the cognac and whisky stocks and might necessitate buying a bottle of Tia Maria or Kahlua and a bottle of vodka to make 'The Dude's' White Russians but its worth a go.

'The Dude' Lebowski

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Please limit your writing to wines, and not spirits.

Nicola said...

I have been thinking about this and your comment on your last post, and I must apologise. You had good intentions of making your posts less 'boring'. Because after all if Richard's Bass Bag was entirely about basses and their bags we would get very angry. Richard, I think this might be your cue to apologise.

My Spurt said...

I don't think that Richard (of RBB) does apologies to blogs like this. Let's face it, Nicola, this blog is really about ways of getting pissed. Okay, I know it's supposed to suggest the connoisseur thing, but most people talk shit after too much wine. Nicola, I'm a thinking type of guy. Okay, I enjoy the occasional wine but I don't see a need for blogs about it. Shouldn't they just be getting on with drinking the stuff? Though, to quote Second, "I could be wrong".

Bunny Hoskins said...

Do they make carrot wine? Hey, I'm just chewin' the carrot.