Saturday, September 18, 2010

WHISKY GALORE!


Today has been a day of jobs around the house (Her Indoors is back). One of them was making concrete bricks with ceramics embedded for a garden. I had to fossick in the basement for a mould and for some quick drying cement which involved moving a few boxes and crates. A few of these contained some of my whiskies. Now I knew I had them but had kind of misplaced them in or move North. I recently wrote a post on tasting some of the Malt whiskies I have. These are additional to those.
When I was travelling in my job I used to buy a Malt whisky or Cognac at duty free on return. Some I gave away as gifts, others I just put in the wine cellar. Years ago I attended a whisky auction when United Distillers got rid of a lot of their old stock. There were some amazing bargains to be had and I still have some bottles left. Many years ago, I uncovered an old cache of spirits at a now long defunct liquor importers. I have a few old bottles from this.
In random order the bottles I dragged out of the basement today are:

Scapa 12 y.o. Malt from Orkney

Hugh O'Donnell Glen Mist whiskey liqueur from Ireland. (circa 1940's).
Highland Park 12 y.o. Malt from Orkney (old bottle shape).
Highland Park 12 y.o. Malt from Orkney (new bottle shape).
Cutty Sark blend (circa 1950's).
Tullamore Dew 12 y.o. Malt from Ireland.
Long John MacDonald Royal Choice 21 y.o. blend in wade decanters (3 bottles).
Antique 'extra special' blend (Mcleay Duff circa 1950's)
Macallan 12.y.o Malt.
The Royal Household blend (James Buchanan circa 1940's).
Haigs Dimple 12.y.o. blend (circa 1950's)
The Mill Burn 12.y.o. Malt (McLeay Duff circa 1950's)
Lord Calvert blended whiskey (Kentucky circa 1950's)
The Glendronach 15.y.o. Malt
Usher's 'extra' blended whisky ( circa 1950's)
The Macallan 'twenties' Malt (recreation of the 1920's style).
The Glenlivit 15.y.o Malt
Munro's King of Kings deluxe blend (in stone jug)
Chivas Regal 12.y.o. blend.

I should have dug these out earlier in winter but  we will enjoy a tipple with discerning friends. I'm sure that TSB would appreciate the taste of some of these.


8 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I've tasted some of these, but not all. I admire your willpower, as if I'd been in possession of these treasures, they'd have been consumed long ago.
Have you tried the Cutty Sark?
I used to work in their bottling plant in Glasgow as a student, and I remember it was almost always an export whisky, and it was a bit rough on the throat.

Angry Jesus said...

I'm thinking of intrudicing whisky as alter wine in Scotland to get more old buggers into the churches.

Angry Jesus said...

There is no room for fairness in the fight between good and evil, Sun of the Dawn.
Oops, did I spell your name wrong?

THE WINE GUY said...

"Have you tried the Cutty Sark?"
Yes. It has a slightly unfamiliar taste to it and, as this one has been open a long time, possibly some alcohol evaporation has mellowed the taste a bit. Why I say unfamiliar is because some time ago I marketed Cutty Sark in New Zealand and was used to the 1990's style. I went to Cutty Sark's blending room in Rothes (Glen Rothes distillery) and spent a day learning their blending process. Glen Rothes and Camdhu are components but also about another 30 malts as well. Lightness in colour is the main aim (for the American market like J&B) but also fruitiness and sweetness with minimum smokiness and floral characters. As such, the Speyside character is reduced even though most of the Malt content is Speyside. The grain whisky component is more pronounced.

Bin Hire said...

Yawn.

THE WINE GUY said...

If you want to read something really boring Bib, go to here:

http://richardsbassbag.blogspot.com/

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

TWG, I agree with your comments on the Cutty Sark. Most of our production went to the USA. We used to try the product on the weekend, where we could drink as much as we wanted in 30 or 60 minutes (I can't remember the exact number)
I do remember that the frutiness was a minimum, and the sweetish but raw grain caught the back of my (then) inexperienced throat.

Got me pissed quickly though.

ELMA said...

Is Fluffy drunk? My God, that cad Richard (of RBB) shouldn't have let him drink whisky, no matter how good the brand.