Sunday, March 15, 2020

SUNDAY - DAY OF REST*

* Well, to be honest everyday is a day of rest for me nowadays.





Sunday, in my life experience has had religious connotations even though I abandoned Catholicism  when i was about 15.

Wikipedia tells us:
Sunday is a day of rest in most Western countries, as a part of the weekend and weeknight. For most observant Christians, Sunday is observed as a day of worship and rest, holding it as the Lord's Day and the day of Christ's resurrection. In some Muslim countries and Israel, Sunday is the first work day of the week.
OK, Christians as per usual try to take over what is a rest day from the working week and convert it to their own ends. We're used to that.

I like Sundays though. There is something palpable in the atmosphere. Maybe it's because many people are not working and commuting to their jobs. The sounds in the neighbourhood are different - sounds of leisure activity and, I guess, the absence of sound from people who are resting.
Sundays are always relaxing and for relaxing.

It's a beautiful Sunday here today. Blue skies, warm, no wind - marvellous.
The lawns need mowing and it would be ideal conditions to do so, with a dip in the sea at high tide afterward but I don't want to break the peace. I get annoyed by those gung-ho home maintenance types who fire up their mowers, weed-eaters, blowers and other noisy shit on a Sunday. There are 6 other days to do this.



I'll keep listening to the radio, read, do crosswords and enjoy the sunshine on the deck until later in the afternoon when I'll go out and play some golf.

Sunday. Don't you love it?

2 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Why did you abandon your faith at only 15? Now in the sunset of your years are you still abandoning your faith?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

While the 'age of reason' is 7, it's not until the teens that children feel they can stand up to authority.
I did this in the 4th form at school when I separated the fact from the fantasy and rejected the silly catechism.
Yes I still abandon the 'faith' and can't see me ever going back to it ( although I never freely had it) unless in my real dotage I go a bit do-lolly and can't separate fantasy from fact.