Saturday, January 22, 2011

UNCOMMON


We went to The King's Speech last night. Man what a good film this is and it is good to see that the film industry can still make stuff like this as a counterpoint to all the Bruce Willis, Angeline Jolie and Tom Cruise trash that Hollywood churns out. Colin Firth's acting is so good you don't see him as Firth the actor. It is totally riveting. At one point in the film his character the Duke of York (later to be George VI) says, when Logue the speech therapist challenges him to a shilling bet "I don't carry money actually".
This reminded me of years ago when I went to a week-long conference (in Bali of all places) with Remy Cointreau Group the French drinks company. At one stage I was shopping with Dominique Heriard Dubreuil the daughter of the company's leader who was later to become CEO and is now Chairman of the group and rated apparently the 42nd most influential woman in the world. She is a nice and very smart woman but I was struck at the time at how unworldly she was. She was looking at some gold jewellery and asked me if the price they were asking for a necklace in a boutique was correct or not. Me! I said that I don't usually buy gold, what would she normally spend. She said that she never carries money, the bills for what she buys are always sent on! How the other half live eh?

No comments: