Thursday, November 25, 2010

YO HO HO...

I made cookies today (I prefer to use the word biscuits though as I'm pissed off with the proliferation of Americanisms in our language). I started with a vanilla base and added raisins and rum. Real rum. Lots of it. I wasn't following a recipe and just kept adding raisins and pouring in the rum until it kind of looked right.

They cooked without any problem and were only a little more moist than the usual. The flavour is stunning. The alcohol is still evident as the sticky mixture maybe trapped it inside and they were only in the oven for 10 minutes so there may not have been time for it to totally evaporate. Anyway, they have a kick.

I used Appleton's 12 y.o. This is a very good rum that has a nice vanilla taste (from the wood ageing as this is real 12 y.o that I have had for a long time). Smooth and sexy it is great for summer evenings and just made for these biscuits. I'll just have to be careful who I feed them to - I don't want to get casual callers drunk.

3 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Well done. Any baking adventure I have initiated has ended up in disaster, I don't seem to have the touch.
Your idea of using real rum is a winner. I can remember my Mum making some with "Rhum Flavour" and they were not very nice.
That Appleton's sounds nice, I might just try and get some. Normally I just mix it with cola adn ice, but tht sounds special enough for a different treatment.

Richard (of RBB) said...

TSB (not the arena, the SCotsman) always seems happy when alcohol is mentioned.

THE WINE GUY said...

I made Moccha biscuits tonight with Hazelnut Kahlua in them.