Friday, October 29, 2010

JUST PEACHY.


I'm enjoying a good NZ Chardonnay in the early evening sunshine (yes sunshine, its 7PM and there is still sun on the deck. The bay is beautiful. Life is good. So is the Chardonnay. It is Selaks Winemakers Reserve 2009. 100% Hawkes Bay (Bayview and Haumoana) fruit. This is made seriously. Free flow juice, malolactic fermentation, barrique ageing - the works. It is a great peachy, spicy, long-flavoured wine that shows what NZ Chardonnay, particularly Hawkes Bay Chardonnay can deliver. It is not quite as good as the stunning 2008 version but it is delicious. How much is it worth? Between $20 and $30. How much did I pay for it? $13.99 at New World. Ridiculous I know but that is what is happening out there. I only hope that too much discounting doesn't compromise the quality and integrity of this wine given that the powers that be at Constellation NZ have seemingly discontinued its bigger brothers - Selaks Founders, Rose Tree Cottage and Nobilo Dixon.




4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Pity I wasn't there to play some solo bass as you drank it.
I do this interesting drone thing that sounds a bit like a WWII German bomber - works a treat at RSA parties when the old soldiers won't go home.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Thanks for the tip about the Selaks Reserve. I'll ask my beloved to pick some up (if there's any left).
I always used to prefer Red Wine, but ome of the stunning Chardonnays and Pinot Gris(I thought the Peregrine ?2006? was stunning) I've found in NZ are converting me, especially on a long summer day.

Which is a pity, as we're going back to Scotland to see the rellies in January. No chilled white wines there. Hot toddies and plenty of whisky.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Tried to buy some of the Selaks Reserve today, on our way back from Paraparaumu. Our New World is charging $16.99!
My beloved refuses to buy anything over $15.00

Angry Jesus said...

See me for free wine. I have a trick.