Tuesday, May 4, 2010

SOME THINGS TAKE TIME


I opened a bottle of Nobilo Icon Series Pinot Noir 2005 tonight. To be honest I was not expecting too much from it. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. I hadn't tried it for quite some time. Earlier (from release up to a year or so ago) it was firm, almost hard and unyielding. The good fruit was there but buried beneath seemingly harsh tannins and acids. It has now softened up revealing a beautifully supple wine with still strong black cherry, blackberry and soft raspberry flavours. Whilst now supple it is still supported by a nice oak structure and, being Marlborough has a refreshing mineral character. This wine stood out at release as being different to the usual simple cherry offerings from Marlborough. Wine Spectator gave it 91 points out of a hundred (virtually a Gold Medal) and it is so nice now to see it reaching maturity but still with life (like me I like to think).

I was in a good position to taste this critically having opened two other New Zealand Pinot Noirs in the last few days - a nice, dependable Main Divide (from Pegasus Bay) 2006 Pinot Noir and a deplorable Te Kairanga 2008 Pinot Noir (13.95 from a supermarket so I guess even Te Kairanga themselves thought it was crap).





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I was in a good position to taste this "

Obviously you have a lazy boy chair too. Hope all is well.

THE WINE GUY said...

Thanks Robert. Yes I was feeling relaxed (but standing). I was making pizza using the home made base from my breadmaker - tuna, anchovie, olive etc - delicious.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"Earlier (from release up to a year or so ago) it was firm, almost hard and unyielding."
Sounds like something Comeinyourpants would say.

THE WINE GUY said...

Vile.